You are here
PAUL EAREE AND HIS TALENTED FAMILY
ALL WELCOME TO THE OPENING PRIVATE VIEW ON SUNDAY 28th BETWEEN 12PM-3PM
EXHIBIT RUNNING FOR ONE MONTH
Paul Earee (1888 – 1968)
Heralded as Sudbury’s finest artist since Gainsborough, Paul Earee initially found work as an architect’s assistant and he duly qualified as an architect, forging a highly successful career, particularly noted for his ecclesiastical and domestic architecture both around Sudbury and further afield.
Throughout his career, Paul painted for pleasure with ever-increasing acclaim. He also became a significant artistic influence both within his artistic circle and as Art Master of Sudbury Grammar School during the interwar years.
Paul’s artistic output was broad – this includes very fine pen, pencil and etching studies along with elaborate calligraphic illuminations, but he is best known for his evocative, brooding landscapes of Sudbury and the local environs. These are expressively rendered in watercolours and impasto oils.
Paul Earee’s paintings are an integral link in the tradition of East Anglian painting; part of an unbroken lineage stretching back to Gainsborough.
An extensive collection of works from the estate of Paul Earee is displayed as prints here, with the original paintings to be sold by Reeman Dansie Auctioneers of Colchester as part of their bi-annual auction of East Anglian Art, to be held on 10th / 11th April. For details, contact Jonathan Benson or Daniel Wright on 01206 754754.
Joan Ascott nee Earee 1915-2017
Joan was the eldest daughter of Paul Earee, the renowned painter and architect. She attended St David’s school in Friars Street, Sudbury where her father often taught art. She attended Colchester School of Art and moved to London to undertake commercial work, specialising in posters, advertisements, book illustrations and jacket covers.
When war broke out she returned to Sudbury to work in the food office. When peace returned, Joan undertook work at home, between bringing up two children, and taught art at Salter’s Hall private school in Sudbury.
Joan contributed regularly to national handicraft magazines, offering instructions and examples of work for readers to follow. She was often called to judge work at fetes and competitions.
Joan designed and embroidered the Sudbury Cadets flag and became a member of the Embroiderer’s Guild along with her sitter Margaret (‘Bill’).
When her eyesight began to fail, and threading a needle became impossible, she returned to painting plants in watercolour. These are on display at The Quay and available to purchase.
Also on exhibit in the foyer and the bar are a series of dolls in national dress made by Bill and another illustrating the history of women’s costumes. There are exquisite puppets too made by Joan on display.
Other embroidered works are also displayed in the exhibition.